Gray’s Grist Mill, one of the oldest, continually running grist mills in New England, is located in Adamsville on the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border.
While its exact date of origin is unknown, most agree that there was a mill on the site some time before 1700.
The first deed of ownership can be traced back to Philip Taber in 1717. The village of Adamsville was known as “Taber’s Mill” until the 1800s and the Adamsville mill pond provided power for the grist mill and a saw mill. In 1751 Taber conveyed the mill to his son Jonathon.
John Hart purchased the property in 1939 - a time when most grist mills were closing their doors. He went on to run Gray’s Mill for the next 41 years. In 1980, Mr. Hart, then 80 years old, sold the mill to New York businessman Ralph Guild. The one stipulation of the sale was that Ralph would continue to operate the mill. Mr. Guild kept his word, and began a multi-faceted restoration project on the property.
Baker became a driving force behind the project and alongside Mr. Guild worked tirelessly for years to restore the mill, the mill pond, and the areas adjacent to the mill.